Today I am the most pregnant I've ever been standing up. At this point in my pregnancy with Jacob I was hospitalized because my water broke. It is a joyous thing!!! However, although I am not on bedrest...Jacob is. It is dizzy-ing.
Oy vey what a day.
Jacob couldn't/wouldn't walk today. At first I thought it was a sleeping foot...but after an hour of him refusing to stand on it I began to realize something may be much more seriously wrong. Two hours after he woke up he still wasn't taking more than one limping step without bursting into tears and falling down. So we left at 10 this morning for the ped. We left the ped's office at 5 pm. We have a best guess but nothing for certain.
When we got there, Jacob was trying to take steps but couldn't hold his weight for more than one step before he would fall down. He finally figured out he could get places by crawling so he just gave up on walking at all. Dr B checked him out and agreed "yep something is not right." She ordered x-rays and blood tests to rule out fracture and bacterial infection. She gave us a worst case scenario of a bone infection that would end up with him hospitalized. We desperately tried not to worry and took him down for the blood draw. The phlebotomist was HORRIBLE. She couldn't get his vein so she kept jabbing him with the needle over and over and over. She was rude and had no skills with working with kids at ALL. Adam finally told her to stop (I had no clue she hadn't actually started the blood draw yet because of how she had me holding him I couldn't see what she was doing) Jacob was hysterical. We decided to wait on the blood draw and went for the x-rays.
I was SO glad at this point that I chickened out of doing the doctor on my own and called Adam at work to come too. I couldn't go in because of Leah, so I laid Jacob on the table and left as they were getting everything ready. Jacob and I both SOBBED through the x-rays. It was horrible. Not even THREE minutes after the x-rays were finished the entire hospital lost power. I was SO glad the x-rays were done before that happened.
As soon as they started doing labwork again with the power still out, Adam went and asked if there was a different phlebotomist to do the blood draw. We were told we would have to wait an hour to an hour and a half. I wasn't willing to wait that long and then wait for the results as well. The lady then started refusing, telling me I'd have to wait for the new one to come on. I looked at her and told her to do her job and we got the blood draw done with no problems this time. I held Jacob *my* way and made sure he was comfortable before she started. Afterwards, she commented "That worked really well" No joke, sherlock.
Both the blood draw and the x-rays came back normal. The doctor *thinks* it is transient synovitis but if it doesn't improve by Christmas we will go back and start more tests and such. The kicker. Jacob is now on bedrest. How, pray tell, am I supposed to keep my hyperactive 2 year old (just ask anyone who knows him this kid doesn't stay still) on bedrest?!?!?! I'm praying this heals quickly and I am so glad it isn't something more serious.
Friday, December 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment