Monday, June 02, 2008

Transitioning

We have watched as Jacob grew from a newborn to a baby.  He continued growing and learning new things. First food, first words, first steps.  All the firsts combined into the transition from infancy to toddler.  First sentences, first friends, first night without mama, becoming a big brother. 

Friday morning was no different than any other morning.  We woke up.  I took off Jacob's wet diaper and rushed him off to the potty, and changed Leah.  We were ready for a new day of fun and excitement.  The different part is that it was the last wet diaper he has had.  We have crossed over to a new era in his life.  He is consistently staying dry now and I think we can officially call him potty learned.  We surely will still have an accident from time to time, we also may have a bit of a regression after the big move, but I don't think it will be a big one.  He is very ready to be done with his diapers and we went and picked out big boy pants yesterday that he has worn today (and they are still dry!)

So, now I sit in a bittersweet moment watching my big boy sit playing with his baby sister and realizing that I can't stop time, but I can write and remember and treasure the moments that build our lives.

We asked Jacob where our baby went last night as we sat and enjoyed a late dinner after a trip to the beach.  He giggled at us like we were insane and very loudly proclaimed "Right THERE!" pointing at our little Leah.  The realization that he is right, our baby is here in my arms was a moment of truth for us that while he will always be "our baby" he now needs us to see and appreciate the big boy he is becoming, helping him grow to the man he will someday be. 

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3