Saturday, September 10, 2011

Love letters while you sleep

He is five, nearly six (but we won't talk about that yet)! And sleep has never been something of interest to him. They wrote a song about him ...don't want to close my eyes...don't want to fall asleep...cuz I don't want to miss a thing!" yeah THAT is my boy. He also doesn't like being alone, even for a millisecond. And that in itself wouldn't be a problem if he were an only child. But, she is three, and brother is 15 months and well we're due in December with another baby sister.

In our normal bedtime routine, he gets love and cuddles and stories and tooth brushing while the littler two run around in pajamas. And then I ask him to stay in his room, (in his bed preferably) until I can come back.
"I always come back!"
"I know, Mama."

But, knowing has not been enough to keep him from coming in countless times :just: as the baby as fallen asleep, with loud, crashing steps and a crying :need: for mama in his voice. But, suddenly 3 days ago, I found myself able to put the baby and his sister to bed and then I came into his room and found him sleeping in his own bed, in his own room so sweetly. I looked into his sleeping face and reminded myself that he only :seems: big, he really is such a little boy still. I wrote him a note. A love letter to my son, while he slept and inside tucked the much coveted iPod for him to play when he woke up.

He woke up so thrilled and delighted. He carried his note around all day long, and again that night, he went to sleep in his bed, in his room waiting for mama. I left a second note. He had three days in a row where he was delightful start to finish. We had little fuss, whine or argument. It was as if he had woke up a new boy! Every night I left a new note for him to find the next day.

Yesterday, he told me that he didn't need me to write him a note, he wanted me to "just go to sleep, Mama! You need your rest too!" So, I didn't write him a note, but before he went to bed, he tucked a note under my pillow.


It says, "U R SO GRAT I <3 U MAMAM" along with some pointy green grass and a beautiful daisy.

That made my day! (and for the most part, we had a great day again today!)

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3