Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Celebrate today!

Today was perfect! Jacob is three. Three years ago today I truly became a mother. I held my son for the first time and knew the pain of separation like I never dreamed I would feel. Three years ago, I saw my son for the first time and let go of him for the first time. And now, I held him as he fell asleep, my big boy, my baby, my nursling, my friend. I am so blessed that this child is the one who made me a mother. I am so blessed that Jacob is my son and that I get to spend my days knowing him, loving him and teaching him. I am so blessed that today, three years ago, I was given the most precious gift, the most amazing task and the most rewarding thing in all the world...the chance to be a mother, his mother.

Today I celebrate my son. The boy he is, the man he is becoming, the person he is. Today I celebrate my firstborn. My ebullient, active, curious, animated, loving, caring, compassionate, tender, mischievous, spirited, contemplative, ever-learning boy.

Even deeper a celebration than the one we had today is the one happening inside me. The celebration of motherhood that I quietly pay tribute to internally as I externally celebrate my son. Celebrating the obstacles that we overcame together, Jacob and I, while he was in utero. Celebrating my strength and power as I birthed him three years ago. Remembering and celebrating him is also a celebration of birth that brought me to who I am today. This boy gave me the opportunity to be the best mother I can possibly be. This boy gave me a gift of truly finding my meaning and purpose in life. This boy is my son, and I am his mother and that is why I celebrate today.


Jacob is three and for this reason I celebrate.
I am his mama and for this reason I celebrate.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3