Friday, July 10, 2009
Flipping the switch...
if only I knew where his switch was, life would be oh so much easier. A very tired Jacob after bath a few days back, was nearly hysterical wanting to be cuddled by Mama and nursed to sleep. The problem was Mama was nursing a very tired, almost sleeping Leah. The toweled boy jumped around the room screaming at his Dadi, "NO! I don't want to **insert whatever activity Dadi was trying to redirect Jacob to**. I want my MILKIES!" He burrowed around the bed clinging to me and waking his sister from her dreamland nursing. We desperately tried explaining to him that if he could be calm and restful for just a few minutes Leah would be fast asleep and Mama could dote on him with her full undivided attention. Our explanations were greeted with more shrieking of "NO! I don't want Dadi, I don't like Dadi! Go away Dadi! I want milkies!" and then as if someone had just flipped a switch he stopped crying, stopped flailing, stopped screaming and ran up to Adam and said "Dadi, Come on. Let's go play cars!" and play cars they did. It was an instant. An hour later, after I had put Leah to bed and gotten some chores done as well, a delighted sleepy boy fell asleep in my arms. Now if we could just find that trigger that instant calm that came over him. Life would be a breeze.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment