Friday, February 19, 2010

Reading the room.

We've got a reader.  I can hardly believe it or contain my pride.  I never :taught: him to read.  Adam never taught him to read.  We just read to him since before he was born, every day. We provide a print rich environment and encouraged him from early on to :see: the words that are everywhere.  The word EXIT was his first sight word.  It's everywhere.  We took a pile of sentence strips and started labeling the things around the house.  We have a sign under the clock that says "clock" and on the mirror that says "mirror" It's been so neat.  Now, the little one is starting to read the words.  If you point to the word "door" on the door she's pipe up "door!" If you show her the same word on the table, she pipes up "door!" The cutest one she "reads" is "mirror". When she sees the word "mirror" she giggles and says "Me! Wee-la"
I love these kids, and I love providing them a world full of opportunity opening up many paths to them so they get all the choices and opportunities!


1 comment:

Raising {& Teaching} Little Saints said...

Congrats! It is a wonderful thing when the light switch just goes on one day and you wonder, "how did they do that?" I love how you said that you and your hubby didn't teach your son to read...but you did! You provided all the tools needed for him by modeling reading to him. Reading to him and providing a print rich environment is the key to engulfing our children in the magical/wonderful world of reading! Congrats!!! I'm new to home schooling but by profession I am a Reading Specialist (with an MS in Reading Ed) and love to see blog posts like yours...awesome stuff you are doing with your kids!!! :)

Swidget 1.0 3