Wednesday, April 28, 2010

guys read. (and so do little boys)

For the famous author who was inspired to start the Guys Read campaign it truly had to be heart-warming to see the little boy perched on a stool that was almost as tall as he was reading to the audience that had gathered to hear the famous author read. I know that being the mama of this little boy brings me great joy and admiration.

A little bit of what led up to this amazing moment tonight.

Jacob was given a very difficult choice for tonight. He had two options for tonight that he :loves: He could have gone to AWANA Cubbies or go see one of his favorite authors do a booktalk/signing. He contemplated this choice for some time and said, "Mama, that's a really hard thing to choose. I love Cubbies, but I don't know Jon Scieszka's noise and he's going to be reading his books!! Is tomorrow a patch day?" (He earns patches every three verses he learns for his AWANA Club) I told him no it's not a patch day, He just got his patch last week. His response. "Well then. We have to go see Jon Scieszka so I can hear his noise and see him!" So, since the first time since he joined, he missed Cubbies, and we were off to hear Jon Scieszka's noise!

We arrived at the bookstore just before seven when the event was to take place.  We pulled a handful of books that were by the author and we did not yet have. Jacob sat down and was looking through the stack of books to choose which one he would get to keep. As he was looking through the books, the event coordinator came up and explained to the gathering crowd that the guest of honor was stuck in traffic and that she was going to read some of his books while we waited for him to arrive.  Jacob sat and listened in earnest and after she had read her second story, he raised his hand. "Excuse me! May I have a turn, I'd like to read this book to everyone." She agreed and he ran up to the front and climbed up on a stool that was nearly as tall as he was and sat down. 

"This is The Spooky Tire, by Jon Scieszka." Jacob read.  He had never seen this book before in his life. He then proceeded to read each page and then would turn the book around and show the pictures to the audience.  Everyone watched and listened with admiration. About three pages in, Jon Scieszka strode in expecting everyone to be waiting for him, and found instead that no one really noticed as he approached. He looked at me, beaming, and said "It would seem I've been replaced, by a much smaller me!" I told him that was what he got for being late ;)

We stood in the back and watched and listened as this little four year old boy, without a shy bone in his body, sounded out unfamiliar words and added his own inflections into what he read. I looked back and forth between this little boy who amazes me every day and the author, a superhero in Jacob's eyes. I watched Jon's eyes sparkle with joy as he took out his phone and snapped a picture of his "Junior reader".  I watched as Jacob declared "The End" with a voice that was just exuding his sense of accomplishment.

I love that in Jacob's eyes, authors are superheros. I think it's amazing that he has learned that books are written by people and that he has had the chance to love not only the books and the words that are written but also the people who make them.  I love that his appreciation for this work is already instilled in him at four and that this little boy knows that books are not just words on a page, but are a part of a person that the person has chosen to write or draw to share with us.

It reminded me of the story time at the library where when the librarian showed the book to the kids and said "This is The Dot", Jacob piped up "Who is it by?" Because to him the person who wrote the book is just as important as the story itself.

I have had the opportunity to personally thank several of the authors who in my eyes have taught Jacob how to read by sharing with him a piece of themselves. I have said before I take no credit for his reading, he learned because he wanted to learn, all I did was provide an opportunity and a print rich environment.  I suppose it helps a little that both Simpli Dadi and I have a love of the written word.

Tonight was a delight and I am so glad that I got to share a piece of my son with those around, and that others were blessed by his exuberance and joy!

2 comments:

Kate Hanson said...

This is just so beautiful. I love Jacob and I'm so proud of him. You guys are awesome parents :D

Judi Schindler said...

His father just read bus signs at that age, but he also attracted an audience.

Swidget 1.0 3