Summer is over. A new year is starting. I often get funny looks as I try to explain to others that for me, years aren't counted from January to December, but from September *or the end of August* to the next August. Years aren't counted by date for me, but by school years. Today starts my third year teaching. I laid in bed for nearly an hour last night knowing that I needed to be sleeping, but my nerves and my brain wouldn't let me. The first day of school...do you remember what it feels like being a kid and having that first day every year...it's those feelings times like a million for a teacher.
The thing that gets me the most about the first day back is that I get to start over and I have a fresh new chance to make a difference. Any mistakes I may have made last year, or opportunities I may have missed to teach...really teach someone...are gone and I get to start all over. But there is something about the first day, it sets the precedent for the rest of the year. It is a huge milestone in how the classroom structure and discipline will work. If the teacher doesn't take control the very first day, the students will. So I spent over 12 hours in my classroom yesterday, followed by an hour at the store picking up some last minute needs *duct tape is a nessecity in ANY classroom*, and then another 2 hours at home creating the power point presentation that is my lesson plan for today.
Well Lord, I've given it my all. Now I put my day in your hands. My year in your hands. Help me remember why I love what I do....help me to remember that MY goal...my reason for teaching...is to love my kids.
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment