I was at a staff development meeting the week before school started, and I was boycotting the end of summer. I struggle through our staff development meetings because most of the things they present are second nature to me and seem common sense. I know that there is a reason that we have these meetings and some of the teachers need this information, but I wish that I could go to a meeting and actually learn something.
As I mentioned I was boycotting this particular meeting, so my body was present but my mind was not. At the last minute I decided I was being quite the bad example to my new friends who were sitting near me and new to the teaching profession so I whispered to the teacher next to me “What was the question?” She answered, “Write a definition for differentiation.” So the boycott ended and in the last 30 seconds of our allotted time I wrote down some stuff off the top of my head. We were then given a chance to share our definitions to our table groups. I did reluctantly after the other teachers had read their paragraphs complete with examples. “Modifying instruction and resources to effectively reach all students at the ability level they are currently capable of.” Bah, I thought, I’d ended with a preposition. The lady next to me just kind of sat there and said, “Yeah, what she said” I didn’t think my answer was all that great it was last minute bs that I wrote down just because I felt bad for not participating. The inservice went on. The presenters asked for groups to read their definitions. The lady next to me raised her hand, and read mine. The comments made by the rest of the staff as she finished reading made me want to crawl under the carpet. “Wow…yeah that about sums it up.” “When you get your job down at the district office, will you take me with you.” “Brown noser” bah. Why…why Lord can’t I just be a normal everyday kid…I say kid. I know I am an adult now, but that was the same way I felt in school. It hasn't changed.
Sometimes I wonder what I’d be doing if I applied myself instead of waiting until the last minute and throwing stuff together. I mean, I am a great teacher. I know that, and I don’t say that to sound conceited or cocky, but what kind of teacher would I be if I put more effort into what I do…as it is I’m only giving about 25% of my effort to my work…what would I be doing if I were giving 100%.
Differentiation is modifying instruction and resources to effectively reach all students at the ability level at which they are currently capable. I know that. I guess now it’s time to do it.
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment