Friday, December 17, 2004

Cookie Crumbs in a Plastic Grocery Bag.

It's so easy to forget that although my students want to be all grown up and want to be treated that way, deep down inside they are truly just kids. One of my students who often causes problems in class raised his hand while yelling out my name today. (This is his normal way of getting my attention much to my dismay..). When I called on him, he broke out into one of the biggest grins I have ever seen, and used his finger (the correct one even) to beckon me closer to his desk. I walked over and he opened his bookbag still grinning. With great pride, he pulled out a white grocery bag all crumpled up in his hand. The bag had dark spots on it where he touched because his hands were very dirty. With a sunburst smile and great pride he thrust the bag toward me and said "Merry Christmas!" I gently unraveled the crumpled up bag that had come out of his backpack and inside it I found several pieces of cookies. The cookies looked as if when whole were odd shaped to begin with, and they had pieces of M&M's, chocolate chips and white chocolate chips (at least I think that is what they are...) peeking out. He was so proud of the cookies. "I made them for you" he grinned.

I will never eat these cookies...or even save them. But one little boy showed me today that he really cares, even when he doesn't always show it. I was deeply blessed by this child. The joy he found in giving me the gift made me realize that even though I don't always realize it, I am making a difference, and I do have a reason to care. I love my students. Every single one of them. Even when they drive me insane. Besides, if I don't show these kids love, some may never truly experience it.

Lord, help me to appreciate my kids every day. Help me find the joy in what I do daily.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3