Thursday, December 02, 2004

Why Lord?

Someone asked me today if I was fairly devout. I wasn't sure how to answer so I referred to Webster. Webster defines devout, and I decided that I wasn't really as much devout as I am devoted. Because to me devout seems very much the legalistic view of religion and I am very much not that. I am devoted to Christ. My life is not my own, it is His and He lives through me. I stumbled badly as I tried to explain what this meant today. I don't like that.

1 Peter 3:15 says: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"

The first part of the verse I have done and do again daily. Christ is the Lord of my life.

The second part there though.. "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."

Why is this difficult? I have had several encounters in the last six months where I have been blatantly given this opportunity to share why I have such an amazing hope. I stumble and stutter through the words. I have spent years memorizing scriptures and none come to mind when I reach for them. Why, Lord, do I struggle so much with sharing this amazing part of my life? Why do all the words that end up coming out sound so cliche and not what I am meaning. Why can't my mouth speak the truths my heart knows?

And the third part... yeah no problem being gentle and respectful... but I need the words to say to say them gently and with respect.

Lord, give me the words and the opportunities again to share You with those around me who ask.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3