Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Never a dull moment.

One thing that my roommate said last night really was funny. "You know there is truly never a dull moment when you are around." That is so right. So let me tell you a story about last night. I had a staff meeting after school. After the meeting, I picked up my cell phone and noticed I had missed 2 calls. The first one I can't even remember what it was because the second so changed my evening. It was my roommate, saying "Hey, I called in sick and when I got home, the power had been turned off...something about a deposit." So I sat down at my desk at school to started to think. I had really no clue what exactly to do next because I knew that I had paid every bill the electric company had ever sent me.

First I called in to my tutoring job and let them know I wouldn't be able to make it. Then I drove home. When I got there, sure enough, no electricity. The note said it had been disconnected due to nonpayment of a deposit. I called the company and after talking to several different people on the phone we found the root of the problem. The very nice lady informed me that there had been a clerical error on their part when I had called to switch my electricity to my new apartment and then called and cancelled the change. They had never billed me, and it wasn't a bill I had to pay because the move was never made. However, because someone did not doing their job correctly, I was without power from 10 am till 8 pm last night.

It was a great night though. My roommate and I went out to dinner together and got some shopping done.


1 comment:

timoth said...

Last Friday I turned on the shower and nothing happened... Flushed the toilet and nothing happened... turned on the kitchen sink and nothing happened...

Then on my way to the mailbox to check for threatening letters from the water company, I passed a big, muddy, freshly-dug hole with what might be new piping. Being a clever lad, I thought there might be a connection here somewhere and decided to wait and see if my water came on again all by itself. So here's to shutting down utilities with no notice.

Last March, I helped (or at least, tried not to hinder) in the building of a house in Mexico that had neither electricity nor water that could be shut off, and they were overjoyed to have it. Just to keep things in perspective.

Swidget 1.0 3