Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Happy Fill-in-the-blank day.

I've been going out of my way to find things to celebrate lately. Looking specifically for things to make others smile, and maybe I have a bit of an ulterior motive that I want to smile too. I found that one thing that nearly everyone can smile at is being wished a happy day. So I have started...

Today I would say Happy Wednesday. There are many reasons to be happy on wednesday. Wednesday is 'hump' day. Once you make it through Wednesday then you are over halfway through your work week, well you are if you work a Monday-Friday job. Wednesday is the mid-week day the one in the middle. It means that the week isn't over yet, so deadlines and projects that you need to get done you still have time to do, but the weekend is getting even closer.

But you see I don't stop with Happy Wednesday. I love saying 'Happy Thursday' too. Thursday is the day before Friday and that well, that in itself makes Thursday do-able. I guess at school we very much live on a Weekend oriented schedule. So knowing that it's getting closer to the weekend well that brings a smile to many faces when greeted with that in the mornings.

Happy Thursday isn't the end of it either. Happy Friday...well then you have people bursting with almost as much joy as I feel when I wish these greetings on those around me. The last day of the week. We made it. Often Happy Friday comes with well wishes for plans over the weekend, or a job well done by making it through a rough week. "Happy Friday" is probably the one that people like to hear the most.

I do say Happy Saturday as well and I think it explains itself. Happy Saturday really means to have a good day off and to be productive.

Happy Sunday comes next and I almost stuck it together with Happy Saturday. But I realized that they don't really go together. Sunday is a day to celebrate so many things but mainly, Sunday is a day of worship and rest. Happy Rest day. Happy Worship day. Happy Sunday.

But then comes Monday. I written about Monday's before and I am realizing that they aren't as bad as they seem. Happy Monday is often greeted with jeers and shrugs but at least it makes people think. Yes we are going back to work and we have to greet the trials of the week all over again. But Monday's are a start of something new. A new chance to make a difference. A new chance to tackle a problem. A new chance be exactly what you want to be.

Happy Tuesday follows Monday and often people laugh when I say this one. When they laugh my response is most often, "well it's not Monday anymore" Tuesday is just a day stuck in the middle. It has little to no significance when put in weekend perspective, but it still is a gift that we are given. A new day. A new start. A day to follow the beginning so that we can carry through and accomplish our goals.

I've been meaning to share these thoughts with you for a while, but I have been very busy and I will be even moreso the next couple of weeks, but the reason that I wanted to share this with you...was this.

Yesterday one of the 'grumpier' teachers at school, nearing retirement and frustrated with the system, came up to me and before I had a chance to open my mouth, greeted me with a smile "Happy Tuesday!!"

Sometimes it is the little things that make a difference. Ask my kids. I smile more and they like that.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3