Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Why don't we say what we mean?

What would happen if we did. How many times do you catch yourself in this lie. "That sounds great!" or this one "I'd love to." You don't mean it sounds great, but you say it because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. What would happen in our world if we all started saying exactly what we meant, instead of using our words to hide what we are really thinking and feeling. Why do we feel it necessary to hide our feelings?

When someone asks you to do something and you don't want to do it, what if you told them 'no' instead of "sure, I'd be glad to!" Would it really be a better place if we were all truly honest. There are times I say things and I mean them...but I wish I hadn't been quite so honest. I often say things and have the desire to "un" say them. Not because I didn't mean it, but because I don't want the 'consequences' of being that brutally honest. I am not talking about lying here as much as just not saying the truth. Have you ever been so honest with someone that you second guess whether or not to share? You fear what they will think of your honesty and the possible repercussions of saying what you really truly feel.

I hide behind my words. It is much harder to hide what is in my eyes though. "What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to me more than all the words I have read in my life." ~Walt Whitman~ I have been struggling with this concept for a while now when a friend pointed out that more often than not words are used to hide what we really mean and not to express what we mean. What do words mean to you, are you hiding behind them in an effort to not express yourself? Or are you being honest with yourself and with those around you and allowing your words to truly be an expression of you?

I'm not sorry I'm honest with you. I will try, as hard as it is for me...to stay this honest with you. Will you stay honest with me?

1 comment:

Keyframegirl said...

Me not be honest?? *LOL*

I'm glad you are joining my world of curt honesty!!

;)

Swidget 1.0 3