Ok. So Sierra Way is really a street. However, here in Southern California, there is not an abundance of rain. Apparently though, when it does rain here, it pours. So yesterday it had essentially been raining since Sunday. I haven't lived here that long to realize the effects of the rain.
On my way to work yesterday morning, I drove my normal way to school. I didn't think twice about it. I grew up near Chicago, rain isn't a new concept for me. Drainage systems that work, also not a new concept. Here, on the other hand, we haven't quite mastered the concept of a working drainage system. So with the lack of regular rainfall, and a drainage system that is quite lacking, the water becomes quite creative with ideas of where to go.
Sierra Way is the street that is just a block away from my school. I come down Parkdale and cross it daily on my way to school. So, with the excess of rain the last few days as I pulled up to the stop sign at Sierra Way, I saw for the first time water gushing down the street. It covered several peoples tires up to the base of their rims, even covering some of the rims on some cars as they drove down and across Sierra Way. I watched as several cars made their way across what looked to me like a small river. I figured that it was safe and made my way across. Little did I know the effects it would ultimately have on my day.
After school I went out to my car to go home from a long day (see good puddles bad puddles). When I put the key in the ignition it kinda went "du du du du du...dead". But it wasn't the battery. I even had the janitor come with jumper cables. He informed me that it wasn't the battery. I am not going to pretend that I know anything about cars. I know how to check the basic fluids. I think I know how to change a tire, though I have never actually done it by myself. The janitor guessed that in driving across Sierra Way that morning I had gotten water in my distributor. He pointed out water spots under the hood that apparently shouldn't be there.
I finally got the car to start with much prompting from him on what I should do. I got down to the stop sign at Sierra Way (the water level had gone down some) and I proceeded through though my car was spitting and sputtering. The car stalled in the middle of the intersection. I shakily restarted it and pressed on. Again at the next stop sign, the car stalled, this time though before I had pulled out. I pulled over to the side of the road and through my tears called a friend.
After attempting to calm me down, my friend began to walk me through ideas on how to get my car home without the continual stalling. If he hadn't suggested treating the car as a manual and using both feet for the break and the gas I don't think I would have gotten home. Through my tears I managed to pull the car out of the side of the road after patiently allowing the car time to idle. I slowly drove (crept even) down the street.
At the stop light, and using my friends advice, I shifted into neutral. All was well until the light turned green. I shifted back into gear and gradually applied my foot to the gas while letting off the break and once again, my car stalled. This time, the cars behind me were honking and upset. The light was green, I wasn't moving. I tried several times to start the car again, finally being successful once the light turned red again. The next green light, I had apparently gotten just the right amount of pressure on the gas/break combo to get through the light.
I continued on my way. Then successfully made it through the next stop sign but stalled again on my next turn. The scariest part was when I stalled turning onto my street. I was in the middle of the turn and stalled while crossing the other lanes. I watched as the other cars came toward me and prayed they were paying attention and would not come crashing into the side of my car. I finally restarted the car once again and crept into the parking lot of my apartment breathing a prayer of thanksgiving and a sigh of relief. It took over a half an hour to get home and I live about 5 minutes from work.
I parked the car and went in realizing too late that my purse was still in the filing cabinet at school. Praise God that he knew I would need help this day after school. Lori was at my place waiting for me to come home to bake cookies. We jumped in her car and ran over to school. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up stuff to make some pizzas. Once we got home again, it was quite a fun night. We watched Ella Enchanted, made pizzas and baked yummy chocolate chip cookies.
Praise God for bad days so that the good ones can be even better!! Thank you, Lord, for friends who can comfort us, calm us and give us advice. Praise you for a car that started without incident this morning!
Thursday, October 21, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment