Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Act of Sitting Down.

So I can imagine you can't even count how many times you sit down and stand up everyday. Most people would agree that there is something relaxing about being seated, depending of course on the circumstances. There is nothing relaxing about sitting in the dentist's chair, or the waiting room of a hospital waiting for news of a loved one. But for the most part, sitting down brings relaxation to mind, especially for a teacher. I would say that the majority of people don't think about much as they go to sit down. I mean we have come to trust chairs, and couches and other things invented for us to sit on, so that what is on our mind has nothing to do with the actually act of sitting down. I know this, because up until recently, I never thought twice about it. Now I am sure you are expecting some sort of story about me going to sit down on something and it not holding me up, although that kind of thing has happened and most likely will happen again to me, that is not this story.

You see on Monday, I went to my very first Kickboxing class. It was a great time. I worked out hard and later that night could feel it. It is now Wednesday...and I still feel it. I feel muscles that I didn't know existed. If I were more computer savvy I would draw a picture here of a little paper doll showing you where all the muscles are that hurt, but that would pretty much be pointless...Because they just about all do.

Now, back to the story. Standing up for long periods of time, with these sore muscles is not a fun thing. I ache to sit down and relax. Herein lies the problem. The muscles that you use to actually sit down are the ones that hurt the most. Every time I begin my descent into a chair for some much needed rest and comfort, my leg muscles (and other muscles) scream out to me in pain. So, my desire to find comfort in the act of sitting down is quickly curbed by my desire to not feel this intense agony in my muscles. It is quite a dilemma. The worst part is every time I sat down today, at that moment someone needed my immediate attention. Getting up out of the chair caused nearly as much pain as the original descent. So, while I am sitting I dread the thought of getting up again, and while I am standing I dread even more the pain that will come with finding that brief comfort in the time I have to be seated.

And the worst part. I'm leaving in 30 minutes for Kickboxing...Class 2!


1 comment:

Keyframegirl said...

I love being sore after a work out. It means I actually did something good for me and my temple. :)

I hope that confuses Adam even more than my previous post. HAHAHA...that's what you get noisy little bugger!

Swidget 1.0 3