John 8:12
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
I showered in the dark yesterday, and I have a feeling today's shower will be much the same. I have lived in this apartment for one year. I moved in the beginning on last February. *Here my brain would like to add another story, but that will have to wait for another time* In that entire year, not one of the actual light fixtures that are a part of the apartment have needed light bulbs changed. The light bulbs have just always worked from the day we moved in. But yesterday is different. I walked into my bathroom, flipped the switch, and nothing. I looked up at the light and realized immediately what had happened. I knew what needed to be done, but I walked away and left it undone. *It was too much trouble for me*
So, when it came time for me to take my shower, I realized it would be dark. I took extra care to prepare to shower in the dark, causing unnecessary work for me just to be able to do something that I do everyday. I stood in the dark room and I tried to see the things around me. It was cloudy and the color, the vibrance was gone. For those of you who know me, you know that color is something that thrives in my apartment. Bright, bold colors are found in every corner. Cheerful and peaceful. I realized as I thought about it that there was a 'message' in my inaction and although, I truly struggled with the idea of sharing a 'shower' story on my blog, I feel what comes next was worth it.
There are so many people who are going through their lives, living in the dark. The light bulbs are right in front of them. They are welcome to do something about it, but in not doing anything they CHOOSE to coninute living in the darkness. It may even be an instance that they don't know what to do with the light bulb. If you have lived your entire life in the darkness, how would you know what to do with the light bulb? Their eyes grow accustomed to the darkness and then they find that they can just 'live' with the darkness and they learn to adjust their lives to being in the dark. They forget *and some never do truly know* what it is like to be able to see. They forget the precision and the beauty that comes in the light.
Our walk with Christ is much the same way. We are living in a dark world. We have the choice to pick up the light bulbs and to screw them into the light sockets of our lives. We have been given a light that cannot compare to the light of the sun. It is the Light of the Son! We have also been given the gifts necessary to see this light. He has sent his Spirit into our world to guide us. He has given us the gift of his Word to comfort us, to lead us. We just have to 'screw the lightbulb in'. Yet many are afraid to do this. They fear what they will see if they allow light in their lives. They fear change. They fear 'losing control'. The eyes are what we see with. So many people are living thier lives with their eyes closed.
Matthew 13:14-16
14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15For this people's heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.’[a]
16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.
To be ever seeing and never perceiving, what a life. Inside each person there is a light. There is a glow that is evident to all around them. Matthew 6:23 explains that in each person that light, it doesn't have to shine bright..."But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!" How sad to have such a darkness as your internal glow. A deep never ending darkness. One that bleeds out your eyes in expressions and fear. The good news is that even with that great of a darkness, we don't have to live in it. I don't have to keep taking showers in the dark, and You don't have to keep living with that darkness inside of you. I am a great fan of the Newsboys. *sings* Shine make them wonder what ya got...make them wish that they were not... on the outside looking bored....Shine LET YOUR LIGHT SHINVE FOR ALL MEN... let them see good works and then let them glorify the Lord.* Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.
What is your light? Are you living in utter darkness, with a darkness inside of you that refuses to allow the vibrance and beauty of life and joy into your daily world? Let your light shine. If you don't have a light...find HIM.
**EDIT** As a result of this post...I changed the lightbulb in my bathroom, before I took another shower.
Sunday, February 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
A wonderful message from an everyday "adventure" in life; enjoyed it alot.
Linda (a friend of your mom's)
Post a Comment