Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Joys of being a Teacher.

I sit in my empty classroom this morning looking at the rows of desks. It is an absolutely beautiful morning. I am still fighting a cold that I am sure I got from working too hard, not resting well, not eating well, and spending my days with sixth graders. It's quiet in here right now. Peaceful even. In just 30 minutes I will open my door to 36 bubbly children eager for something. Some of them are eager to learn; Others not so eager. But in each face, in each child, there is a story. Every child that walks though my door today, I have the opportunity to touch their life. There are often *more often than not* days when I am running late in the mornings. I get to school with only minutes to spare and set up my day. Today was different. I woke up early, before my alarm went off even. I listened to the radio from my bed thinking that I should still be sleeping, but sleep would not come. I got up, and got ready and was at work well before the hustle and bustle began outside my room. As I sit here I can hear children laughing, talking, interacting and I know this signals a start. The day will begin soon. I know that this peaceful room will soon be bombarded with the energy and excitement of 36 sixth graders, but in my heart, can I keep this peace? Can I know that through my day, there is a reason that I am here. I wish you all the joy in knowing you are doing something you love. I wish you all the satisfaction at the end of the day that you have done something worthwhile.

In college, one of my dearest professors had us watch the movie "Molder of Dreams." It is a story about Guy Doud. I don't remember the specifics of the film or his life, but there is two things that I do remember from that day and that movie. One is this writing assignment, and the second was a scene from the movie. He walked into an empty classroom and sat down at a student desk. Every morning he did this. He then prayed and lifted up the child who sat in THAT desk. To have that kind of dedication. To take my children to the Lord daily. I want to be that kind of teacher.

Last night, I started thinking (and in doing so got very little sleep) about what I really want in my life. This is what I came up with so far.
I want to be happy. *and I think that this is a choice that I can actively make daily*
I want to make a difference. *a positive difference in the life of at least ONE child who walks into my room every year*
Oh, and there are more things I want. But I don't know you, and I don't know if I want to share them with you. :)


Lord, give me the ability and the strength to love my children and to instill in them the desire to learn. They are young, many are hurting. Allow me to give them in my classroom a safe haven. A place that they can feel comfortable. A place that they can feel happiness, joy, excitement, and peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you really want "joy" and not "happiness." I find that happiness is a word that is tossed around a lot, without much thought. It is (to me) a temporary state of enjoyment, where joy is more of a long term mental outlook. It is hard to be filled with happiness always, and proabably harder still, to be filled with joy all the time. But I think being filled with joy at all times is atainable while being filled with happiness at all times is not necessarily possible. Just a "thought" I just had.
-JDA

simplymama said...

You are right, I do want joy, however here's definition number three of happy from www.webster.com
3 a : enjoying or characterized by well-being and contentment : JOYOUS

So there ya have it :) not looking for the fleeting kind

Swidget 1.0 3