Monday, February 21, 2005

I NEED bubble baths.

When someone talks about needing things, our first thought is a 'need' that can be fulfilled physically. Food, water, shelter are basic needs that we associate with needing things. I was asked today to distinguish between a NEED and a WANT. I was asked 'can you survive without it?"

Plato has a philosphy of Love that includes physical, emotional and spiritual needs. I am going to speak of needs in these categories. I believe there is a fate worse than physical death in this world. It is letting yourself die emotionally or spiritually. Living physically with these parts of you dead is a travesty.

Physical needs to me, yes do include food, clothes, a roof over your head. Those are the things our physical bodies need to survive. Without them we are in danger of death. Spiritual needs to me encompass the need for fellowship, for spiritual food (as a Christian this means reading the Bible, prayer, etc) Emotionally though, we need things too. These are the needs that are most often overlooked.

Ok. so enough background information. Here is the story.

I was out with a friend today, and we were 'stuck' in a nearby town to where we lived. We had dropped my car off at the shop to get some work done on it. We hung out at the college she had attended for a bit and I had a tour of the place. Not the most exciting, but it took up time and we had little else to do. I suggested after nearly dying from boredom at the college campus (hey I wasn't all that spirited at my OWN campus) that we head over to the mall. "I need bubble bath!!" I kept insisting. She would argue every time. "You CAN live without it. You don't NEED it. You WANT it." I tried to explain to her that she was wrong, but she refused to hear my explanation. We finally ended up at the mall and I got my bubble bath. Now I'd like to explain this NEED.

Emotionally I am a wreck lately. I have been overloaded and overwhelmed by circumstances to the extreme. My brain is overloaded with thoughts and ideas. My body is also reaching an exhaustion, I have been pushing it to the extreme lately by adding in some intense workouts several days a week. I have been working myself quite hard and feel incredibly energized from it. Emotionally though, I need a break. Relaxing in a nice warm bubble bath is a way to calm myself down and give my brain and my body a much needed break. Therefore, the bubbles to create this for me are a need. A physical need...not so much. An emotional need...you bet. Can I live without it...physically maybe, I doubt I will physically die if I don't get my bubble baths. Emotionally though, I don't want to die, so I am going to try to meet those needs too.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3