So yesterday, I sat in this same chair, same room, and was proud to be a teacher. I truly love my job. I love my students even though they frustrate me to no end. But today, as I sit here, I am wondering if I should be doing something else with my life.
You know it never matters how old you are or what you do there is always some trepidation when 'called to the principal's office'. Today was no different. I left in tears though. I had an 'evalution' meeting. This was the result of it.
Here are the things I HAVE to do.
I have to spend hours writing 'perfect' lesson plans instead of adapting already written ones out of the textbooks we spend money on.
I have to provide critical thinking and discussions over topics such as mutiplying integers when my students can't even multiply whole numbers.
I have to adjust a 'fixed' schedule of instructional time to allow enough time for student learning.
I have to use computers for instructional strategies that sit in my room not working because all the necessary parts aren't there.
I have to check for understanding of not only the materials I am 'required' to cover, but also of the standard that it relates to and the objective of the day.
I have to re-write standards into 'student-friendly' words so that they CAN understand what the standard is and learn that too...in addition to the material, of course, that I am 'required' to teach them.
I have to provide the students *during lessons* information about their progress in the activity as I am teaching. *for each of my students of course*
I have to stand in front of my classroom and engage 36 students in a lesson regardless of what choices they are going to choose to make.
I am not allowed to expect my students to do and turn in their homework.
I have to hold my students responsible for themselves and their actions, but hold myself responsible if they choose not to learn.
I have to have 100% participation from my 36 students at all times throughout.
I have to teach standards based instruction that are 4 levels higher than the ability level of the majority of my students, but I am NOT allowed to take the time to build the framework that they are missing in order to do this.
I have to provide real life experiences and opportunities for education while bound by the wrists in a system preaching "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" when all it is accomplishing is dumbing down our school systems so that children can suceed.
I have to teach 'standards-based' intruction when NO ONE knows what the heck they mean by it and every person interprets it in a different way.
I have to provide a dog and pony show anytime someone walks into my room. So that they know I am capable of doing the things they ask whether they fit into the lessons or not.
And I have to do all of this in a place where most of my students only meals are the 2 they eat at school, where on a daily basis people they love are being shot, where the only respect and attention they get are the 6 hours they spend sitting in a classroom, where the 'real world' to them is about survival. All this and I have to make them care about math, and science.
And since I am not superwoman or an Incredible or whatever, I guess I better start looking for a new line of work.
Thursday, February 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love you and no matter what is said you did not make it up they are retaliating against you and You are a Wonderful Teacher!--R
So, as I was reading, I got hung up on this:
>I have to provide critical thinking and discussions over topics such as mutiplying
>integers when my students can't even multiply whole numbers.
"What's the difference between multiplying whole numbers and multiplying integers?" I asked myself. "Maybe she meant to say 'multiplying fractions.'" Ah, but we must remember that while all whole numbers are integers, the reverse is not so... integers can be negative. So that got me thinking; "critically thinking", you might say. Multiplication is, in simplest terms, the area of the rectangle of length x and height y when you multiply x*y. But if either x or y is negative, then the area is negative. What does it mean to have a negative area? Well, perhaps a hole has a negative area. So if you have some larger area with a hole in it, the negative area is the area of the part that is missing. Ok, then, what if both x and y are negative? Then your area is positive again. So if you multiply a negative length by a negative height, then you get a positive area. This, obviously, is nonsense.
So I can see from whence your difficulty comes. Though perhaps, I miss the large point of the post...
Post a Comment