Not sure I agree.
Ok, so for a break I used dictionary.com instead of webster.com . I know you hate when I do this, but, truly what you are asking for is proof. In the definition of proof we find the word evidence. In the definition of evidenced, we find the word prove.
proof n.
The evidence or argument that compels the mind to accept an assertion as true.
ev·i·dence n.
1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment
2. Something indicative
ev·i·denced, ev·i·denc·ing, ev·i·denc·es tr.v.
1. To indicate clearly; exemplify or prove.
2. To support by testimony; attest.
Now I make the following 'assertion'. God is real.
You ask for indicative evidence to support it. You ask for proof.
For support, you have my testimony. My life is an open book. I have made mistakes. I have walked with God for a good time. I have turned my back on Him. Ultimately, every choice I make, is mine to make. However, when I give the control to him; when I allow him to lead my life, those choices lead me to places I could never even dream of on my own. They lead to a joy that's unspeakable. I could sit here and quote scripture to you, but that is not what you are willing to hear. The Bible holds all these truths.
The evidence you are looking for is right in front of you. Look at me.
I am living proof!
My life is an example. I didn't know yesterday how much you needed words of encouragement. I really wasn't sure why I felt so compelled to write what I did. I wrote it though, because I really didn't have a choice. You see, God knows what you need. He used me and my words to give you the encouragement you needed yesterday. Did I mean what I said? Absolutely!! Every word was heartfelt. You know that though because you know I don't lie. **Now, I have on occasion been known to not give the whole truth...And for that I am sorry.** But, when I first told you that you were welcome to ask for that information, I truly meant it. I went ahead and wrote what I did and sent it to you the way I did, because the Lord has placed you on my heart. He knew what you needed yesterday, because he knows you. He used me to encourage you, because you trust me. :)
I know I said I wouldn't do a bunch of scripture quoting, but this is all I will do....For now.
John 14:6-14
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him. "
8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us. "
9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. "
Even the men and women who walked next to Jesus doubted him. That is our human nature. They saw him. They stood next to him. The heard him speak, preach, teach. They were given the gift of knowledge. But in our humanness, we doubt.
I spoke last night about how hard it is now for me to share these things with you. Standing, right now, in front of you is Jesus. He is reaching out his hand. He wants to catch you. He wants to hold you. He wants to heal you. He wants to give you peace. And for what? Why? What do you have to do? All you have to do is believe. Climb up on his lap. Let the Father hold you. It doesn't matter how old you are. It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened in your life. God's lap is big enough to hold all of that. He will comfort. He will guide. He will lead. He will protect. And when we fall...He will catch us. If we turn away, he will welcome us back.
I asked you this, and I am still waiting for that answer, but I thought I would address it again.
Next question...If you can believe in an 'internal god' who has clearly impacted my life, why would you also not want that for your life? You aren't happy. You aren't fulfilled, You aren't satisfied...
Right now, you believe that there honestly could be a 'god' working in my life. However, you cannot believe He exists outside of me. Well, He does, and in great ways. That fact is clear to you in my discussions with you. You can see 'Him' working in my life. If this same 'god' could also work in your life, and in the lives of those around us. Wouldn't that be an external manifestation. The same 'god' is working in all of us. He is doing the same kind of work over and over. He is allowing sinners to experience the gift of forgiveness. He gives words to those who can't speak clearly for others to understand. He gives gifts to some, such as writing, and then he brings people into their lives who need to hear the message they have.
I asked you particularly about my number 7 resolution. You didn't answer here, and I am ok with that, but you did answer. You can make a choice to allow God to work in your life just as He has and is working in my life. You can see the difference in my life. I remember back in the beginning of our discussions, I asked you do you see something different about me. You answered "no". I don't believe you.
You can see and know that what I have is something that is missing in your life. There is an emptiness that you feel **I know this because everyone feels that emptiness. And I myself know the feeling all too well**. No person and nothing is going to fill that void but God. He is the one and only person who can fill that.
How do I know? I was empty. He filled me. I was alone. He gave me peace. I was afraid. He comforted me.
In the last six months alone, I have cried out to God. I have turned my back on Him. I have abandoned Him. And I came back to him, begging for forgiveness once again. Why did I do those things? I felt that He had turned his back on me. I felt that He didn't care, but in reality, His hand was on me the whole time. I was hurting in huge ways. Things that hurt me kept happening to me. I blamed God. Did blaming God make me feel better? No. Did blaming God accomplish anything? No. I realized though through the times that I was not allowing God to work in my life were the lowest times of my life. I was devastated. I was depressed. I could barely drag myself to work in the mornings. I was exhausted. I was weary. I hated who I was. I hated what I did. I felt that everything was my fault even if I had not control over it. This was truly the darkest time in my life. God didn't give up on me. He still watched over me. He still cared for me. He still protected me.
And then, he brought me you.
You came and started asking me questions. I knew in my heart that I knew the answers you were looking for, but I didn't want to admit it, because then I would have to admit to myself that I had truly turned away from my God. You didn't stop asking questions. You just kept asking. Every time you asked, in my heart I knew the answers. I gave you answers, but nothing like this. Nothing like what you get today.
Today, I tell you. God loves you very much. He wants to bring you peace. He wants to bring you joy. He wants to love you. Will you give Him the chance?
I myself, I was lost...but now I am FOUND. I was broken...but now I am whole. I was afraid...but now I am comforted. I was a sinner...but now I am saved. Through it all, God loves me. He stood by me. He give me strength to carry on.
God, in his infinite wisdom made me ALIVE. You can also have this life, one where waking up in the morning can bring a smile to your face. You can also know that your life has purpose and meaning. You can wake up every morning knowing that you are loved.
But, let me tell you, the peace and joy that I have now, resting in His embrace. There is nothing that even begins to describe it. And this joy, this love, this grace, it can all be yours.

1 comment:
The age-old question, "Just because you don't believe something, doesnt' mean it does not exist.' comes to mind when I read posts like this. The flip side to the coin is that just because you believe in something, it really doesn't make it truth. For the non-believers (myself as one them), your description of 'god' sounds a lot like a certain people in your life. To those who believe in 'God', do the actions of others mean anything at all? Are these actions, gifts, or experiences really God's work? Is it possible that the people themselves actually thought of these things and opened them up to you...without any help from 'God'?
Personally, I would be somewhat insulted at thinking the things I do for people will be trivialized by being packaged up as 'God's Will'...considering there are those out there who truly do not believe in any type of 'God' figure. Of course, the questions stated above could easily apply, creating the endless loop that discussions like this always end up being anyway. The point is, people either believe or do not believe in certain things, who are we to judge what is real or not in any one person's life. for those who apply to wrinting of the Bible in their lives, it's a sin to judge. For people who choose to live by deciding their own fate, it's rude to be dismissive. Anyway - This is interesting information to apply to my knowledge of those close to me...for the perspective value at a minimum.
Post a Comment