My students believe I am rich. Of course to them, I probably am. The problem is that they can't understand that the way I live now is not how I was raised. They can't see me as one of them, which I was, and realize they could make the same choices I did and be 'rich' someday.
I am not in terms of any world wealthy. I have more financial troubles than I should for someone my age, but I have food on the table every night and I don't have to save pennies just to put gas in my car. I don't even pay all my bills right now. I bought myself a Coach purse for my birthday last year. I buy clothes at second-hand stores and I shop Old Navy's sales where you can pick up a shirt for less than 5 bucks. I have learned to use my money wisely and to make a little last a long time. I guess I learned this the best just after high school when I 'ran away' from my parents and got my own place.
Yet, as I can see my world and say "I don't have any money" to my sisters and to my friends, in reality, I am blessed. Yes I owe my dad my firstborn child ....or the seemingly monetary equivalent. But in the eyes of my kids, I am one of the 'richest' people in the world.
In writing this I realized that they are right you know...I am. I have been blessed over and over.
I have an awesome job, not just one I have to wake up to and go to in the mornings, but one I can love waking up to and going to in the morning. I have a car that runs...sometimes, but it's not going to anymore if I don't take care of it. I have the most AMAZING friends and family. Ones that may keep me up deep in coversation until after 1 am, but that fact seems to fall away at the depth and the joy found in that friendship. Besides, sometimes, leaving things unsaid between friends isn't a good thing, and sleep can wait.
Be blessed today! You may not work in a job where you can evidently see that someone is watching you and looking up to you...but I can guarantee, somewhere someone noticed you and respects you. Are you being the role model you would like to be for them?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is interesting in the timing. Last night, 2/17/05, at church we were studying Zacheraih's hymn in Luke 1 and we were talking about how God raised up people to be leaders, examples, etc down through history. The question was asked: Are you living your life in such a way that God can use you/ raise you up as an example/leader.
You are so right. We are noticed. The way we live our lives is sometimes, the only way some people will see Christ.
Post a Comment